Thursday, May 20, 2004

 

Tambourines

Rudyard Kipling, Something of Myself, chapter 4:
General Booth of the Salvation Army came on board. I saw him walking backward in the dusk over the uneven wharf, his cloak blown upwards, tulip-fashion, over his grey head, while he beat a tambourine in the face of the singing, weeping, praying crowd who had come to see him off....I talked much with General Booth during that voyage. Like the young ass I was, I expressed my distaste at his appearance on Invercargill wharf. "Young feller," he replied, bending great brows at me, "if I thought I could win one more soul to the Lord by walking on my head and playing the tambourine with my toes, I'd -- I'd learn how."
The trouble, of course, is that such antics repel as many souls as they attract.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?