Tuesday, November 02, 2004

 

Orwell on the Classics

George Orwell, column As I Please, in the Tribune (July 7, 1944):
When the Calpih Omar destroyed the libraries of Alexandria he is supposed to have kept the public baths warm for eighteen days with burning manuscripts, and great numbers of tragedies by Euripides and others are said to have perished, quite irrecoverably. I remember that when I read about this as a boy it simply filled me with enthusiastic approval. It was so many less words to look up in the dictionary -- that was how I saw it. For, though I am only forty-one, I am old enough to have been educated at a time when Latin and Greek were only escapable with great difficulty, while "English" was hardly regarded as a school subject at all.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?