Sunday, October 01, 2006

 

Party On, Dude!

Henry David Thoreau, Journals (Nov. 14, 1851):
In the evening went to a party. It is a bad place to go to, - thirty or forty persons, mostly young women, in a small room, warm and noisy. Was introduced to two young women. The first one was as lively and loquacious as a chickadee; had been accustomed to the society of watering-places, and therefore could get no refreshment out of such a dry fellow as I. The other was said to be pretty-looking, but I rarely look people in their faces, and, moreover, I could not hear what she said, there was such a clacking, - could only see the motion of her lips when I looked that way. I could imagine better places for conversation, where there should be a certain degree of silence surrounding you, and less than forty talking at once.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?