Tuesday, April 10, 2018

 

Truth

Charlotte Smith (1749-1806), Rural Walks: In Dialogues. Intended for the Use of Young Persons (Philadelphi: Thomas Stephens, 1795), p. 83 (Mrs. Woodfield speaking):
My dear Caroline, you will know, when you have lived and observed a little longer, that nothing is so difficult to obtain as truth. If any uncommon circumstance were to happen at the end of this village, I am convinced that six different people would tell it six different ways. I never therefore expect, even in this country, to hear a thing related exactly as it happened. In another country this becomes so difficult, that I doubt every thing I hear; and if news is to be brought from that country to this, I know it is more than probable, that the event it relates has never happened at all.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?